Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Morocco pics

Hopefully over the next few days I will post a bunch of pictures.  Right now I'm in Cape Town, South Africa.  I am in an internet cafe that has size limits so I will probably run out.  I will do what I can.  We just got to Cape Town this morning and will be here for the next 5 days.  

But these are pictures from Morocco.  They are out of order because they uploaded backwards.

This picture I just had to upload because it reminded me of MIT.  We visited the Saadian Tombs in Marrakesh and we got stuck behind a huge group of Asian tourists.  All MIT students know how that goes, though I wasn't stopped for directions.  The tombs were beautifully tiled as you can see on the ground.  


We stayed in the main square in the old part of Marrakesh (there is a picture below).  In the evening the square really came alive.  There were a lot of orange juice stands serving the best OJ I have ever had for 3 dirhams, which is about 30 cents.  I also had hair at this point



This picture is actually in Casablanca.  On the last day Ben, Conor, and I took a tour of this mosque, called Hassan II.  (Jill wasn't feeling well).  The mosque was beautiful, though it was also very touristy.  I know that my mom likes pictures of people in front of things, as opposed to just the things themselves, so I went with this picture.


This is back to Marrakesh, in the main square.  All behind the square is a maze of markets called souks.  This is about what it all looked like, though sometimes they were covered with kind of straw roofs.  There are also people on motor bikes whizzing all over the place.  



This is a picture of the roof terrace from out hotel.  This is the main square called Jemma el Fna, and the tower in the background in the Koutoubia Mosque.  There were mosques all around us and 5 times a day we would here the call to prayer from all directions, which was really cool.  This is how crowded it is every day of the week, I think this was taken on a Tuesday.


That's all for now.  I'll try and post some safari pictures from Namibia soon.  

No comments: